Thursday, April 7, 2011

Africa Update, FINALLY!


YAY! I’ve successfully traipsed myself and my luggage across three continents, four countries, and countless cities via three planes, an SUV, two buses, and a Land Rover. My final destination; the city of Dondo, Mozambique in the gorgeous, amazing, glorious continent of AFRICA. I apologize to all friends and family who have been patiently waiting (or not, as the case may be) for some news of my existence. For all you knew, I fell of the face of the earth, and I’m genuinely sorry for taking FOREVER to write anything here, but it’s so hard to pull myself away from all the things that are happening for long enough to write anything. It’s difficult to spend hours on the computer when Africa is waiting just outside. Oh, Africa. The very name sends shivers down my spine, as I suspect it always will. Words cannot be used to describe it; it is just something you have to see and feel for yourself. I have loved every second I have been in this place, and I could not be happier to be here.

So much has happened since I got here; it’s so hard to sum it up. The flights coming here were all very nice and awesome (I love traveling, flying especially). If you want to read some really cool musings and thoughts about the trip over, read Night Flight: Musings and Poetry on the blog of my good friend Janie Smith. Janie is traveling with me and will be with me in Mozambique the whole time I am, so we have most of the same experiences. And, since we’re very similar, we share the same thoughts and feelings on a lot of things, and she (unlike myself) is very good about actually blogging and posting stuff, so if you haven’t heard from me in ages, take a glance at her blog: The Chronicles of Janie and you’ll have a good notion of what’s happening to me. She is also a very good photographer, so if you want to see pictures of our trip before I get around to posting any, which may be a while... (Humm, well, the original plan here was to give you a link to Janie's picasa album, but I can't find it, and she's already asleep, so I'll post a link to it tomorrow. Sorry!)

So anyway, what’s actually happening to me? A lot, a whole lot. Being in Mozambique has given me such a profound appreciation for so many things I’ve taken for granted all my life. Things like living in an environment where you can walk up to anyone and be able to talk to them. Before I left, someone asked me what I thought the hardest thing for me would be, and I predicted that not knowing the language would be my biggest frustration. Well, I was right. The bugs, heat without a/c, weird food with little variety, the ‘running’ water that seldom does so, being sick, having random drunk guys try to kiss me (awkward), doing all my laundry by hand, and nasty toilets… all that barely phases me. But oh, how I wish I could talk to people without an interpreter. Nevertheless, life still goes on here at the Iris Ministries base here in Dondo, Moz. Thankfully, I can still make myself useful in the mission field without knowing Portuguese by helping Carla and Jon with random stuff around the mission base. If I baby-sit my (adorable) nephew, do dishes, design things in Photoshop, clean house, cook food etc, it gives Carla and Jon a nice (and much deserved) break, or it frees them up to do more important things, like teach bible classes. Doing dishes and baby-sitting probably isn’t exactly what most people envision when they think of mission work, and to be honest, neither did I until now. But I’m actually immensely glad that I can genuinely help Jon and Carla by doing things I already know how to do and can do well; I’m happy as long as I’m being useful. I’m learning so much about what it’s like to be a missionary, it's great. So yeah, I’m finding out missionary life isn’t always a life full of adventure, danger, amazing encounters with God and the supernatural etc… a lot of it is just normal, everyday stuff. Which is totally okay with me, by the way. I am having a BLAST meeting new people, making friends, learning about the culture, the people, and the area. And like I said, I’m happy as long as I’m helpful. And to be fair, plenty of exciting things have happened too. I’ve gotten to preach in a prison, pray for sick people at a hospital, go street witnessing in the capitol city, assist in the widow ministry, see demons cast out of people, feel God’s presence stronger than I ever have before, and learn a lot about spiritual warfare and spiritual gifts. So life isn’t boring either.

Well, I’m afraid that’s all the news you’ll get from me today. Have a blessed day, week, month, and may God be with you. 

3 comments:

  1. Yay! You're awesome, Zhen. It sounds like you're doing a great job, and have a wonderful attitude about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy that you are being so blessed and getting to know the REAL Africa. Isn't she beautiful beyond description? Her people are among some of the best in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a link to my Moz. Picasa album: https://profiles.google.com/calamityjane18#calamityjane18/photos/5589200475101552753

    ReplyDelete